Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Previous Rides

Welcome to my ride blog! I am doing this primarily to keep track of one of the most significant experiences of my life - riding the AIDS Lifecycle ride in June 2011 to raise money to find a cure for HIV/AIDS, help people with HIV/AIDS and to educate people about the epidemic. (My AIDS Lifecycle page is here.)  I'll be writing about each of my rides, recording statistics so you and I can keep track of my progress. I'll also be writing about how this experience touches my heart and soul - it will be a tremendous and meaningful force in my life over the next 10 months.

How did I decide to do the ride? Briefly - it grew out of a long-seated desire to give back to my community and from the kick-ass inspiration my friend Steve unknowingly gave me. He rode the AIDS Lifecycle ride this past June - and his detailed accounts of each day on the ride, and our discussions before and after the ride convinced me that this was something I wanted to do. So, there you have it. Thank you Steve!  (This is Steve and his daughter Maddie.)

This will be quite a physical journey, so I decided to buy a new bike. I'll be riding an average of 80 miles each day for 6 days - good bike is a good idea. After some research,  I decided to buy a Cervelo RS roadbike. For those of you that are interested, you can see the bike here.

The features that I sought were:
  • Quality - I want to keep the bike for a while. I do not want to upgrade in a few years. Lazy I guess. 
  • Comfortable to ride - slightly less race prone posture. Achieved through slightly higher handlebars and longer wheel base.
  • More comfort - traditional spoked (32) wheels instead of racing spoked
  • Easier pedaling - special cassette in the back that allows for an easier time pedaling up hills
What sold me on the Cervelo was a side-by-side ride against three other bikes. For me, the Cervelo was it. Various people told me that I would feel which bike was right for me and sure enough, I did. I bought the bike from Pacific Bicycle in San Francisco. What a great experience! They listened to my requirements and went above and beyond satisfying them. Yea, could buy a bike online for less, but the guys at Pacific Bicycles more than earned the extra cost - I highly recommend getting expert advice if you are seriously looking at a new hobby or sport. I bought the bike in mid June. Hey, the guys at Pacific Bike are smart - so smart they told me I would fall early on due to the cleats - everyone does. I didn't let them down - fell first thing, in the parking lot of the bike store. Well, at least that was behind me quickly!

Here is a summary of the earlier rides I have done:
  1. Alhambra Valley Road to Reliz Valley Road (July - 26 miles). One big hill.
  2. Marsh Creek Road to Deer Valley Road (August - 36 miles). Same deal as the ride described above, only a bit shorter. Very tired by the end.
  3. Claremont Ave. to Alvarado (August - Thur afternoon - 5 miles) KILLER hill. Had to walk the last few hundred feet, burning quads. Some fear on the downhill due to steepness.
  4. Pinehurst/Skyline/Wildcat Canyon (August - Different Spokes ride - 28 miles) Big hills, especially on Pinehurst. Did fine, recovery was not bad.
  5. Home to Richmond via Bayside trail (September - 20 miles with Ross) No hills, but significant wind. No problems and easy recovery.
  6. Golden Gate Park to Great Hwy to SF Zoo (Labor Day Sunday - 15 miles) Easy ride, but too many cars and people.

To close this section... a big thank you to my husband Ross - my teammate in life. His total support, love and encouragement are my biggest inspiration. Thanks my man!!

2 comments:

  1. Nice chronology; sounds like you're getting out and seeing much of what the Bay Area has to offer. Keep up the good work. Watch out for crazy drivers!

    Chris Alexander

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment Chris. It's already been quite a journey, I've gone place in the Bay Area I've never been to before and I've journeyed to some places in me that are wonderful to get in touch with.

    ReplyDelete