Sunday, May 15, 2011

Marsh Valley Road to Brentwood

This Saturday took me on a route I have ridden before, well at least most of it. Basic route was Marsh Creek Road on the North side of Mt Diablo. Ride through the foothills out to the flats of Brentwood. Gorgeous rolling California hills with Mt Diablo rising to the South - once out in Brentwood, pretty much flat, ugly suburbs, but, that offers some flat lands to get some basic mileage in. Route is here.

Got on the road around 10:00, a bit late, but felt good to get out the door at a comfortable hour. It took about an hour to get really into the groove of the ride. First hill is significant, but not anything as bad as I remember from riding it in October. Guess I'm getting in better shape! Hills were super green and creeks were flowing, although not with raging water.

Plaque and my transport
Last time, I turned up Deer Valley Road - this time, I decided to go a bit further east, to the completion of Marsh Creek Road. And, I am glad I did! Discovered a really cool historical landmark with a plaque telling about Dr. Marsh, first doctor in California, who settled this area. Guess that is who the creek is named after.






Hot dogs!
Worked my way up Walnut Ave., which is interestingly, still lined with orchards, cherry I believe. A nice site to see in the suburban sprawl of Brentwood. Rode through Brentwood and stumbled onto a hotdog stand - thought I died and went to heaven - I LOVE hotdogs. Good dog, iced tea and some cookies for dessert. I noticed a few questionable stickers in the window, "Freedom does not come free" and another one, but didn't think much of them until I stepped away from the stand to take this picture. Notice the cross on top of the building - now it all fell into place. Interesting to me that the woman and the two teenage girls working with her (probably her daughters) were incredibly nice - very tempted to strike up a conversation and see where it went, but alas, gotta ride. I love stumbling onto stuff like this!

My ride continued out Lone Tree Way, way too many cars on that road, but it's tolerable. Then back to the countryside on Deer Valley Road. I was apprehensive about the ride back, knew I'd have wind in my face and 1000' of climbing, but it went faster and easier than I thought. Nice to see!

Ride Statistics

  • Mileage: 50
  • Time Riding: 4:00
  • Avg Speed: 12.2
  • Avg Cadence: 76
  • Physical Feeling: Tired at the end, but not extremely so. No pain or bad aches. Did Ibuprofen before the ride, stretched and iced afterwards. Felt fantastic at the end, not too wiped out that evening and next day, all was fine. Minimal to no leg sensation and energy was good enough to do 25 min of rowing on Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment