Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Killer Climb in Redwood City

This was my first mid-day ride from work. A fine Tuesday afternoon it was! My coworker, who is also riding the AIDS Lifecycle ride in June, David, led the way. Goal was to ride for about 1.5 hours, up into the hills, possibly down Canada Rd and then back. Stop along the way to eat our lunch. As usual, forgot my phone, so no camera. Oh well.

Our ride route is here. We left Oracle headquarters around 12:30, gorgeous sunshine, light breeze, about 65 degrees outside, perfect riding weather. I still had a cold, but was feeling good enough to ride. The climb was much steeper than either of us figured - David was embarrassed because he didn't warn me of the degree of climb - he didn't know himself. No problem - this is what I love about my bike - I just slow down and peddle, it gets me where I need to go and I am not bushed doing it. The climb was hard for sure, 12-15% grade, but I did it with a small rest and no pain. Practiced some standing pedaling and some focused pedaling drills and relaxed arms and shoulders. Certainly some heavy breathing after the climb - maybe it's a good thing I did not have my phone.

The killer part was 42nd Ave. Once we made it to the top, some fairly level riding. All this through the residential areas of Belmont. We found a great overlook (would have been spectacular pictures), rested, drank lots of water and ate our lunches. Great views over the Bay, towards San Francisco and Coyote Point. Nice to see how high we had climbed.

Return trip was downhill much of the way. A few miles on Ralston, then off to side residential roads, then back to Ralston, via a wrong turn I made. Back to Oracle office by 2, just in time for a decent shower. No pain after the ride, felt great and the cold seemed to be better too.

Statistics

  • Distance: 9.5 miles
  • Time Riding : 1 hour
  • Average Speed: 10.5 mph
  • Max Speed: 30 mph
  • Temperature: Mid 60's
  • Wind: Approx 10mpg, mild breeze
Physical Feeling
  • Good going into the ride, some burning thigh feeling on the steepest climb, but not too bad
  • A bit of left hip achiness, probably from the climb
  • No other aches or pains
  • Not wiped out after the ride, but very tired later in the day. Thinking I need to eat more after the ride.
    • Ate a turkey sandwich during the ride and a bar afterwards and a bar a few hours later. Still doesn't seem like enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment