Friday, October 1, 2010

Tunnel Road to Skyline Blvd. - Redux

Have to get on the bike to finish out my Thursday workday. The weather has cooled a bit, so looks like perfect biking weather. Tunnel Road is it for this afternoon.

Goal is to get up to the top of the hill with no stops, at a decent pace - this is a build endurance ride. Other than realizing that I MUST get a rearview mirror to clip on my glasses, so I can see behind me (oh, the ravages of being over 50 - hard to turn my neck back to see cars behind me), nothing major to report. I made it up the hill, from the house, to Sibley Park, in 45 minutes - no stops. Damn it felt great. I was able to keep a pretty stable speed of 7-8 mph. Saw a few other bikers and just a few cars - this is a wonderful road to ride on - feels like you are way out in the country yet, you are in the heart of metropolitan Oakland. Just look over my right shoulder and the reminder is the backed-up traffic trying to wind its way through the Caldecott Tunnel at rush hour. Oh, how nice a bicycle is!!  Thought about stopping at Mike and Kenny's to say hi (they live right near the top of Broadway Terrace, where it intersects Skyline).

The 5 mile downhill is truly awesome! Getting better at feeling control of the bike coming downhill - it's a pretty incredible experience - the bike is light and the feeling is almost like you are flying - but, the sobering realization is that you have two thin tires holding you up - a little sand, a blowout, and you are hosed at 30 mph.

Stats:

  • Total distance: 11.5 miles
  • Time to get up hill: 45 minutes, no stops
  • Avg speed: 10.5 mph
  • Total time riding: 1 hour 20 minutes
Physical Feelings
    • Not out of breath, could have held a conversation, albeit, short sentences
    • Same slight pain in left hip, but it eased up as I rode more. Perhaps it's a warmup thing since I start climbing immediately on this ride. No other pains or aches.
    • Stayed hydrated - drank a bit over 1 bottle of water, some of it while riding
    • Ate CliffBar at turn around point
    • No hand numbness
    • Slight tiredness afterwards, legs a bit tired, but not bad. Slept well, feel fine next day.
    • Ate a bit more day of the ride

    No comments:

    Post a Comment